Understanding the healthcare referrals process well will help you market your practice and grow faster than your competition.
If you are a referral coordinator – This will help you be better at your job.
If you’re a physician liaison – this will help you manage referring partner relationships better.
If you’re a healthcare marketer – this will help you make your quota.
Most of these are automatically taken care of by most healthcare CRM software when you use it for referral tracking and referring provider relationship management
On this page
What are physician referrals?
We are all patients and see various specialists (e.g. cardiologists, ENT doctor) and also our primary care physician (general practitioner, PCP).
When the provider diagnoses or suspects that a patient of theirs needs further diagnosis from a specialist physician, they refer the patient.
How is a physician referral made?
When one doctor refers a patient to another doctor, here’s how they do it:
- Tell the patient to see a specialist of the patient’s choosing. This usually happens in the referring provider does not have an established relationship with the specialist.
- If the referring provider already knows of a specialist that they have had good experience with, tell the patient to see that particular specialist.if the referring provider already knows of a specialist that they have had good experience with, tell the patient to see that particular specialist.
The referring provider can send the report patient via a couple of ways:
- Write the referral on a notepad or a piece of paper and hand it to the patient.
- write the referral on a referral pad that the specialist might have provided the referring providers office.
- Send the referral to the referred specialist using a third party referral software.
- Call the referred specialist office to make an appointment for the patient.
- Send a referral instruction to the referred specialist via fax.
- Send a referral order to the referral specialist directly from their EMR. When the referral order goes from the EMR, it can reach the referred specialist either via DIRECT email communication (EMR to EMR email) or fax from the EMR.